After the great time with my DC Mops moms talking about Real Food for Real Families, we entered into the winter season ready for some remedies.
TRADITIONAL REMEDIES FOR HEALTHY HOMES
“Let your food be your medicine and medicine be your food.”
– Hippocrates (460-377 BC, Greek Physician and founding father of medicine)
DISCLAIMER – I am not a medical practitioner, but I have been reading, thinking about, and practicing natural healing alternatives for over 7 years. I have 3 children with no cavities, antibiotics, or emergency room runs. We’re all responsible for our healthcare choices. Check with doctor if pregnant/nursing. This is not an exhaustive list (homeopathy, herbs, essential oils, etc.). I’m going with “food as medicine” with a few other interesting goodies thrown in.
My purpose is to breathe new life into our God-given intuition about how He has designed our bodies to heal and created natural things to heal them. Just a reminder that we have options…
- Conventional medicine has an important place but is overused & abused – treating symptoms of sickness instead of preventing sickness by promoting wellness.
- Prevent sickness through good nutrition, rest, hydration, environment, etc.
- Don’t suppress symptoms (cough, mucous, fever, etc.)! They are immune responses designed to help your body fight disease, viruses, bacteria, etc. and expel toxins from the body.
- When sick, let your body do the fighting and choose natural remedies that help enhance immune function, not replace it. You can reduce the severity of symptoms but don’t get rid of them.
- Get lots of rest and water (Nature’s anti-inflamatory, detoxifying, lubricating) http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water-education/water-health.htm And avoid sugar! (It feeds infection and depresses the immune system.) http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/sugar.htm.
- PRAY for healing, wisdom, discernment, etc. What a blessing for our kids to grow up with memories of mom and dad praying for them when they are sick instead of just taking them to the doctor. Plus, it gives a chance for the parents to discern the best course of action.
TOP 10 REMEDY SUPPLIES
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) – vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/health-benefits-apple-cider-vinegar.html
Cod Liver Oil – best and most complete source of two vital vitamins – A & D http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-liver-oil.html
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil – antimicrobial http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html
Garlic – antibacterial, antiviral http://www.homeremediesweb.com/garlic-health-benefits.php
Grapefruit Seed Extract – alkalizing, hypoallergenic, veggie wash, water purification http://www.pureliquidgold.com/benefits-of-grapefruit-seed-extract.htm
Homemade Chicken Broth – minerals, gelatin, amino acids, digestion http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2009/01/part-1-health-benefits-of-bone-broth-homemade-stock-beef-chicken-turkey-etc.html
Probiotic rich foods (Yogurt/Kefir/Sauerkraut/Pickle Juice) – http://theconsciouslife.com/top-probiotic-foods.htm
Raw Honey – antiseptic, antibiotic, antifungal, and antibacterial
Tea Tree Oil – antiseptic, antifungal, antimicrobial (first aid kit in a bottle)
Allergies – Local raw honey, boost immune system
Colic – chiropractic, tummy massage, gripe water
Constipation – water with ACV & honey, probiotic rich foods
Cough – raw honey, tea with lemon, CLO, fire water
Diarrhea – homemade chicken broth (gelatin binds liquid)
Ear Infections – garlic infused olive oil, lymphatic massage, warm rice bag, breast milk
Fever – cuddles, water/breast milk, cold bath if it gets too high (over 103 degrees)
Lice – tea tree oil in coconut oil
Pink Eye – breastmilk or coconut oil
Skin burns/rashes – tea tree oil (diluted) or coconut oil
Sore Throat – fire water, raw honey, two drops of tea tree oil in water (gargle)
Thrush – coconut oil topically and internally, fast from sugar, grapefruit seed extract in water
Vomiting – homemade chicken broth, warm compress or ACV on tummy
Yeast infection – garlic suppository, eating plain yogurt, fast from sugar, grapefruit seed extract in water
Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Dr. Mary Enig
Child Health Guide by Dr. Randall Neustaedter
No More Antibiotics: Preventing & Treating Ear/Respiratory Infections the Natural Way by Dr. Mary Ann Block (ADHD, Ritalin, etc.)
http://heal-thyself.ning.com/ (home remedy central with videos and membership options)
http://www.askdrsears.com/ (naturally-minded pediatrician’s website with lots of information)
http://www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/ (scroll down for list of children’s health articles)
www.vintageremedies.com Family Herbalist program from a Christian point of view
www.curetoothdecay.com Repair and re-mineralize teeth naturally with good food
http://www.nvic.org/ National Vaccine Information Center – independent watch dog group
Diaper rash cream – 1 Tablespoon raw honey and 2-3 drops tea tree oil http://www.marigoldlane.com/naturalparenting/diaperrash.html
Soothing ear drops – Cook 3 Tablespoons of olive oil and 5 cloves of garlic. Cool, strain and use if infection is starting. http://herbs.lovetoknow.com/Olive_Oil_Drops_in_the_Ear
Fire Water (AKA Master Tonic, Missionary Medicine, Natural Antibiotic)
How do you feel about taking more responsibility for your family’s health?
What two items would you like to add to your family’s home remedy kit?
Readers, do you have any memories of home remedies being used in your family growing up?