Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything that is beautiful; for beauty is God’s handwriting – a wayside sacrament. Welcome it in every fair face, in every fair sky, in every fair flower, and thank God for it as a cup of blessing.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
I just went to a women’s spring luncheon (Thank you, Amy!) where the theme was “Beauty.” The fun beauty stations they had set up reminded me of all the inexpensive homemade beauty recipes that I’d been bookmarking over the years. They include many simple ingredients that most of us probably already have.
But beauty always gets us women thinking about issues that delve more than skin deep. Many of you have probably seen the powerful Dove Real Beauty Sketches video that challenges the way we see ourselves. And I will never forget the sage words of my Grandma Geneva, “Beauty is as beauty does.”
Ultimately, I am grateful to a God who gives us beauty for ashes, calls gray hair a crown of splendor, makes beautiful things out of us, and makes all things beautiful just in time. And God is free for everyone!
I encourage you to gather some friends and pick out a few recipes from below to make together. And then have a discussion about beauty. What messages does our culture communicate about beauty? What are the benefits and disadvantages of beauty? What makes someone beautiful? Who determines how beautiful we ultimately are?
Alright, gals go get yourselves (and your hearts) PERTY!!!
- Give yourself a natural facelift with facial exercises.
- SimpleMom uses the oil cleansing method to clean her face.
- This girly makes a cocoa powder-based bronzer and blush out of beets. Makes me seem more normal, eh? =)
- And with eyes sensitive to every mascara I’ve ever tried, I’ve already got all the ingredients to try this simple mascara.
- Check out the before and after pictures of how egg whites can raise drooping/sagging/hooded eyelids.
Taking joy in living is a woman’s best cosmetic. ~Rosalind Russell
- Make this dry shampoo for all hair colors out of pantry items.
- Or try this coconut milk-based homemade shampoo.
- And coconut oil and honey make up this recipe for deep conditioner.
- Here’s an aloe vera based hair detangler.
- Love this gal’s no heat curls idea with a stretchy headband.
Beauty isn’t worth thinking about; what’s important is your mind. You don’t want a fifty-dollar haircut on a fifty-cent head. ~Garrison Keillor
- Can’t wait to try this simple coconut oil-based lotion bar.
- And this three ingredients whipped body butter.
- Protect your skin with this non-toxic homemade sunscreen.
- Four words you never thought you’d say: Make Your Own Deodorant
- If you get around to taking baths, try these fun salts and soaks.
- There are lots of combinations that can be made with this universal body scrub recipe.
- Here’s a few different options of a coconut milk-based body wash.
- Citrus juice is the secret ingredient to the softest, silkiest legs.
- And this guy removed a mole with Apple Cider Vinegar!
Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty – they merely move it from their faces into their hearts. ~Martin Buxbaum
- Toothpaste can be surprisingly sketchy – unsketch with this homemade version.
- Or try this 4 ingredient tooth scrub.
- How about whitening your teeth with charcoal?
- Who knew that a mouth wash could be this simple?
I’ve never seen a smiling face that was not beautiful. ~Author Unknown
Finally, here’s a great Do It Yourself kit that comes with all the ingredients needed to make lotion, lip balm, hair butter and/or even diaper rash cream!
For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run his or her fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone….
What are your reflections on beauty?
RELATED POST: Uniquely Frugal Finds: Swaps, Co-buying, and a Change of Perspective
Shared at: Healthy 2Day Wednesday
Well, first, if the apocalypse comes, you will be the first girl I recruit in my new living situation. You are very resourceful. Second, I love the mascara idea. I am having major allergic reactons in my eye to I don’t know what. I think makeup is a contributor. And some of the other recipes taught me a lot about safe ingredients in things I am entrusting to companies who are not looking out for my best long term interest. Thank you for this post.
Love it, Jenna! =) Unfortunately, all my internet bookmarks probably won’t be accessible during the apocalypse, so I hope some of this info is sticking in my brain…
So glad that you are looking into safer ingredients and questioning the motives of many of the companies we financially support. That was actually only an intentional by-product of this post, so I’m happy that you are digging further…
Pingback: I know what we’re doing this summer… | Shesourceful
Wow! This blog looks just like my old one!
It’s on a completely different topic but it has pretty much the same layout and design.
Great choice of colors!
Can you tell us more about this? I’d like to find out some additional information.
It’s hard to find your articles in google. I found it on 16 spot, you should build quality backlinks , it will help you to get more visitors.
I know how to help you, just search in google – k2 seo tips